Students living in Bloomington (ISD 271) are eligible for busing to Bloomington Lutheran School. The Director of Transportation of Bloomington Public Schools makes ALL decisions concerning the bus stops, times and routes. There is NO charge for this transportation. ISD 271 allows a 1-Day Bus Stop Pass for alternative stops. A form, which must be completed by a school official, is available in the BLS office.
Students living in Shakopee (ISD 720) are eligible for busing to Living Hope Lutheran School. The Director of Transportation of Shakopee Public Schools makes ALL decisions concerning the bus stops, times and routes. There is NO charge for this transportation. ISD 720 does not allow extra riders for any reason.
Families with questions concerning busing should call the principal, not the director of transportation. When there is no public school busing, students living in ISD 271 Bloomington or 720 Shakopee must be dropped off and picked up at school by parents / caregivers.
Important: Bloomington and Shakopee Public Schools will NOT transport students who are not officially signed up for district transportation services (e.g. “my child’s friend is coming over for a party today so she will ride the bus”). For additional clarification about this policy, contact the school offices.
BLH does offer transportation outside School Districts 271 or 720. There is a fee, and routes are limited. BLH routes are based on family need, availability, and whether there are enough families to financially sustain the routes. For more information contact the principal or school office.
Some families outside Districts 271 or 720 may qualify for transportation reimbursement from their district of residence. Contact the school office for more information about this program.
BLH bus drivers are committed to providing safe and reliable transportation. Likewise, safety at bus stops and while students ride to and from school is a BLH priority. Such safety requires partnership among parents / caregivers, students, bus drivers, and the school.
All students who ride a bus are subject to rules and regulations set forth by the Bloomington or Shakopee Public School Districts and Bloomington Living Hope Lutheran School. A violation of these rules may result in suspension (minor violations), loss of bus riding privileges (serious violations), or other discipline. Both public school and BLH bus transportation are privileges, not rights. School buses are extensions of the classroom in regard to safety and student behavior. This includes field trips.
- Fighting, harassment, name calling, bullying, intimidation, rough or careless play, vulgar or obscene talk or gestures, or any such activity is strictly prohibited.
- Phones and other devices may be used, but BLH is not responsible for loss, damage, or theft. Any misuse of phones that violates school policy (e.g. bullying, disparaging another, accessing inappropriate content) will be treated as if the action occurred in school and may result in removal of bus privileges. When devices are in use on the bus, volume must be turned off.
- Riders are hereby notified that video recording is in progress on all public school and BLH buses.
- At the beginning of each year, students review the rules of loading and unloading procedures, conduct, and safety.
- Eating, drinking, spitting, and chewing gum are not allowed.
- The families of students who cause damage to the buses or vandalize them are responsible for the cost of repairs.
- Safety tip: When moving outside the bus, students should make eye contact with the driver to ensure safety. Generally, if a passenger can see the bus driver, she/he can see the passenger.
- When loading, unloading, or at bus stops, students agree to:
- Walk on sidewalks or near the shoulder of the road / parking lot,
- Cross streets at corners,
- Respect private property / people’s yards,
- Report suspicious vehicles or activity (never accept rides from strangers),
- Arrive a few minutes prior to scheduled time and account for weather,
- Stand at least three feet from roads / driveways,
- Avoid pushing, fighting, and all unsafe behavior (e.g. throwing snowballs),
- Wait for the bus to completely stop before loading or unloading,
- Be promptly seated before the bus begins moving,
- Board and unload in single file using the handrail,
- Stow items safely on or under the seat but not in the aisle,
- Never go under a bus even if you drop something (notify the driver),
- Never walk directly in front of or behind the bus.
- Bus riders agree to:
- Immediately follow the instructions of the driver,
- Sit in the seat and face forward. Movement from seat-to-seat, standing or kneeling on the seat or floor, and climbing over or under seats is not allowed.
- Talk quietly and use appropriate language. As a general rule, if one’s voice can be heard above others, it’s too loud.
- Keep all of one’s body and belongings inside the bus,
- Keep arms, legs, and belongings to one’s self,
- Do not throw any object at any time,
- Go directly home when dropped off.